The Surgicalist Group is a surgeon founded and led organization.
It’s no surprise that hospitals are dependent on community general surgeons for covering emergency surgery cases through an on-call arrangement. This model hasn’t changed in decades. Due to changes in training and multiple factors competing for the surgeons attention, this archaic arrangement is no longer the best way to care for patients. Over recent years timely patient care and hospital service has suffered under this out dated model.
In today’s advanced healthcare environment, it is difficult for a community surgeon to have a competitive practice and service the hospital and its patients in an expedited fashion. Just as internal medicine separated in-patient and out-patient care decades ago, it is time for surgery to do the same.
- Our Vision
- Core Values
The Surgicalist Group’s vision, mission, and core values drive how we operate. These tenants are more than words on a wall or in a handbook. These are ideas connecting each of our colleagues and the reason we came to work together. We want to make
surgical care better for everyone – our patients, our clinicians, our business colleagues, and importantly, our hospital partners.
Our vision is to transform the way acute care surgery is practiced by ensuring every patient entrusted to our Surgicalists receives the right care at the right time.
We advance the surgical standard of care through engaged Surgicalist champions who leverage innovation, practice evidence-based care, make data-driven decision, and are experts on how to deliver value to our patients and hospital partners.
- We recognize every patient’s journey is unique and we work to accommodate differences
- In our practice, we provide the same evidence-based standard of care for every patient, regardless of their life circumstances
- We anticipate the needs of others and approach others with empathy and sincerity
- Our teams embrace a culture of service to patients, our hospital partners, and our colleagues.
- We encourage involvement in charitable activities to support our local communities
- Every colleague makes decisions based on the collective needs of our stakeholders
- As stewards to our hospital partners, we work to improve utilization efficiency to improve throughput and reduce waste.
- Our Surgicalist teams apply lean principles to streamline work at the intersection of ED and OR operations
- By incorporating design thinking and input from multiple stakeholders, we create smarter ways to operate, both in the surgical and business arenas
- We apply predictive analysis to reconstruct workflows to optimize operations
- Work with hospital partners to reduce the total cost of care* for patients in our practice
- Our practice applies evidence-based protocols to drive improvements in quality outcomes
- We assess quality outcomes through objective data-driven methodologies
- Our Surgicalist teams are accountable and commit to achieve the quality outcomes goals for patients under our care.
Mit Desai MD, FACS
Chief Executive Officer and Founder
Dr. Mit Desai graduated from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor with a B.S with Honors in Microbiology in 1992 and Wayne State University School of Medicine in 1997. His residency was at UIC-MGH in Chicago, where he was the Chief Resident and Surgical Resident Teacher of the year. He received his certification from The American Board of Surgery in 2004 and re-certified in 2012. He was also a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and has been for over 10 years. Dr. Desai …